Memoirs From My Call Center Experience

Friday, May 5

The Training & Transformation

First day of training, we were greeted as the "cream of the crap" .... "crop" and we will all make a difference for the customers. We had speech handling skills and conversational spiels that SHOULD sound like it's not being read on script! Yet, many was able to adapt their own without leaving the essential part of or the essence of the script. That's the illusion that telephones masks when you make calls. During the course of the training, a formation of bond grows within the group. From stage 1(knowing each other), stage 2(the linking/bonding), stage 3(the loving), stage 4(the needing). The training took almost 3 months, until the finals came. Yes everyone made it to the finals with flying colors!!
It is stage 4 when we have to make calls for the first time. Yes the moment of traing has passed and much of stage 4 anxiety lingers from wanting to go back in training, to quit now and payup for the months of training the company invested!(It's a small print at the bottom of the contract when we sold our soul to them)It's a bond we have no choice but take it like a pill without water to swallow it.
The first week was a nightmare!!! The time was a PEAK season where calls bunch up on you and get mugged with complaints!! Shortages!!! Dispatches!! Need I say more?? The faces of my colleagues with headsets and ears were falling off! Eyes finching and watery. Some came with a flu and had to take a break. Others like me fight on! Being bombarded by calls from people we never seen but voices echoes in your brain, when you sleep at DAY, I get daymares of talking to customers over the phone only to find out I was only dreaming. It's something I got used to it, but get tired of it!!
At work we have to keep the energy alive! Looking forward for another weekend or day off only to work again the next night after you day offs.
On my third or probably 4th month, I snap!! I just had calls that you know you've tried your best to help only to be shouted and cursed at in the end!! WE'RE JUST HUMAN BEINGS YOU KNOW!!! Can't shout back at them, you have to muffle your voice if you feel like shouting back with full force or the most famous invention of all the 'MUTE' button!! God I just want them to understand what you want to do, but you can't!! There are sooo much limitation a telephone has!! You can shout but you can't feel and yet, here it is! My headached and my brain gets burned up. If it not for my wife I could have quit and gave up a long time ago. There are some call that you feel sooo helpless and want to reach out but still you can't. So much factors involved here! I can't begin to descibe what it is. Sometimes you have to lie to tell it's okey but it's not! So many questions fill my mind that time, I'd burst!! Sometimes I just go to a lonely corner and stare at the window and wonder, what am I doing?? I just keep grabbing a hot cup of coco to fill out the cold nights I had to be away from my ,then ,pregnant wife.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home