Memoirs From My Call Center Experience

Friday, May 5

The Origins

Call me anything you want to call me, I don't care. Just want to vent out all my angst. In this past few days I never felt so sorry about myself and continously wonder why am I working in this God forsaken job!!! At first, back about 5 years ago, I never had this kind frustration on my job before. I used to work in a company where selling ideas and marketing new things are so enjoyable. Meetings with people from different places I go, get to know them personally. Of course there are some annoying ones, but I can manage that! In short, I love my old job so much, I enjoy working endlessly. Don't care about the salaray. It was not enough for a typical young single guy, but who cares. It drives me to aspire more. Like all other good stories, there are always tragedies! One day the boss of our company made an annoucement. Although it was expected, but it happened. The compnay is closing down and we have to find other jobs elsewhere for a month. My world came crashing down on me like avalanche. I know it was the talk of the whole people at work, rumoring about it in small talk, yet a month later I was out of the job!!! Yes I got my separation pay, but I had to payup all my loose ends, but It was not enough. A month earlier, I just got married. I was thinking, man! This sucks!! Just as when you got married this happened, now how am I going to earn cash for me and my wife! As I came off a news stand and buy the Sunday paper(every Sunday, this particlualr paper that posts wanted ads), hell yeah there's the internet, but the pace is a little informal for me, I decide to read a few wanted ads! Days and days of search nothing. Until one day when my mom's friend came over and told us about her daughter worked in a company but resigned and worked on a new one. I asked her what was the first company she mentioned and she told she used to work at *******e. She resigned and now she's making twice as she earns from her first job. I thought, I'll give it a try to work here at *******e. At that time I have no idea what call center was all about. All I know that you talk to people over the phone about products and stuffs the company sells. You earn 5 digits more, much more than anything previous jobs I know. It was a growing trend and more and more people are biting to that notion. Just like a little kid, not knowing the repercussions,"Hey piece' a cake!! That does not sound so hard. I can speak English fluently, why don't I try it, what can I loose.(not knowing I loose my very soul)". The next day, I tried 5 companies, they all turned me down due to the fact that most companies that need my experties(IT) are not availble or going through retrenchment. So I came to *******e. On the 20th day of the month I walked in with my resume and my wits ready. After 5 hours of interview and a trial phone simulation, I passed the job!!!! On the 27th, I will report to training. So I've sign my contract not knowing I've already sold my soul to the devil and happily went home to my wife to tell the great news that I finally got a job and ready for training!! We were so happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home